Monday, April 22, 2013

U.S. vs. the Rest of the World:
Climate change as measured from the 1955-1975 to 1975-1988 eras

Unless I get a brilliant idea, I'm going to post three more climate data entries and then I will go back to other topics in math. Here are my reasons.

1. I am now convinced that anyone who talks about "global cooling" is a liar.
2. The data I work with can only verify if the general climate is warming, cooling or staying the same. I can't make any statement about human cause and distrust predictions about the future, even when they were done with mathematical modeling. Since the climate shows itself to be warming over so many regions, that is the only question of interest I can answer.
3. My hope was to become part of the conversation and to get people on both sides to agree on ways to discuss the data that does not involve cherry picking. If I magically gained some kind of influence, I think I could talk to climate scientists. Warming denialists are a completely different kettle of fish, and a right putrid one at that.

Here is the first data from my last idea, unless some brilliant clue strikes me. By using the consistent weather stations around the world that report every season between two La Niña peaks that have El Niño peaks between them, I can look at the worldwide data trends.  If I start in 1955, the United States has a huge advantage over the rest of the world. Having a consistently reporting weather station is a trifle in the developed world but a major cost in the undeveloped world. Even though World War II is ten years in the past and places like Canada, Australia and New Zealand come out as nearly unscathed as the U.S. does, the United States has more consistent weather stations than the rest of the world combined.  Here is how the two groups compare.

Total stations: 
U.S.A.: 3130
Rest of world 1938

Warming stations vs. cooling stations
U.S.A.: 60.9% warming, 39.1% cooling
Rest of world: 64.5% warming, 35.5% cooling

Average temperature change:
U.S.A.: 0.09° C
Rest of world: 0.14° C 

This time period shows warming and the differences between the U.S. and the rest of the world are significant. Neither would be catastrophic is continued for a century, a rise of a less than a half degree Celsius.

Tomorrow, we move forward to 1975-1988 compared to 1988-1999. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment